Monday, November 28, 2011

A Guest Entry

For this week, I have a guest writer talking about an experience involving the manipulation of body language. 


Without further ado, here is Lizzie:

"My name is Lizzie, and I'll be your guest blogger for the day. I run the blog Animation Foundation, where I connect art history to relevant topics for the animator.

Body language is an important tool for the animator, and I’m delighted to be able to talk about it. I will spin a tale of a time where I had to actively alter my body language in order to make a better impression of myself.

I've dealt with social anxiety for many years now, and last year I decided to become more active about working on it. I'd go out to parties with friends every weekend, even though I would much rather spend the night at home with a book.

This night’s party was happening at a nice house in the middle of town. The place was a hive of activity, all variety of hipster drinking and chattering away. In short: my worst nightmare. How would I talk to these people? Would they hate me? Would I make a fool of myself? I could feel my palms start to sweat by just thinking about it.

My friend led me over to a group of people chatting under a tree and introduced me. I had to make sure I kept and held good eye contact, and gave the guy in front of me a strong handshake to make a good impression. I resisted all want to hunch over and stare at the ground, and instead forced myself to keep my arms uncrossed. I made myself keep attentive and interested throughout our short conversation. I’ve never found small talk to be particularly attractive or easy, but these activities are the backbone of any big party.

I know that having open body language would give people a better impression of myself. I am naturally reserved and distant, but unfortunately most people take that as being antisocial. I have to make a conscious effort to seem welcoming and open. Unlike naturally charismatic people, I need to keep track of every little thing I do out in public and make sure it’s as welcoming as possible. It’s exhausting, but a necessary evil I’m willing to deal with."

Using body language to improve your social interactions. This is what I'm talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment